You have your new boat, and you’re ready to take it out on the lake in the Las Vegas, NV area for the first time. To avoid some novice mistakes, here are several tips to help you have a successful and safe voyage.
- Be sure that someone not going on the trip knows your boating plans and expected arrival time in case something goes wrong.
- Seal your keys, wallet, and cell phone in a Ziploc baggie to avoid water damage.
- Check the weather early and throughout the trip, and be ready to change your plans if the weather is bad.
- Practice backing your boat on the trailer if you’re new before you head down to boat launch ramp.
- Go slow when docking or loading the boat and you’ll look like a pro!
- Don’t overload the boat and don’t over pack for your trip.
- Boating can be disorienting, so know your landmarks or use the GPS. If using a GPS, know the functions before taking off.
- Ensure that you have all the required safety equipment on board
- Check the anchor rod and chain are not tangled up in case you need a fast deployment.
- Find a life vest that is comfortable, and wear it.
- Bring plenty of skin protection, bug repellant, and overdress because you can always take items off.
- Bring extra snacks and things to drink just in case your boat breaks down, and you’re stranded for hours.
- Have someone else that can drive a boat in case you have an emergency.
Contact an agent at Stevens Insurance in the Las Vegas, NV area to help you with your boat insurance policy options. We have knowledge of the area, boating, and we can save you time by finding the coverage to protect your investment.
Las Vegas isn’t known for its water by outside people, until they start thinking of the Hoover Dam. You know Lake Mead as a fun place to take your family and your boat, so you can hop on the water for some sunny, summer relaxation. Before you get your watercraft out of storage though, consider these tips for how to prepare it for a safer season.
1. Find Your Cleaning Bucket
A clean boat isn’t just nice for cosmetic reasons. Cleaning lets you go over every inch of your boat, so you can see wear and tear that could lead to a leak and then have the chance to patch it up.
2. Life Jackets and Emergency Plans
You’re not likely to get stuck or lost in Las Vegas, but you may have the odd accident on the boat that prevents even the best swimmers from being able to use their skills. Run through the steps of the emergency plan several times, and make sure donning life jackets are a habit your guests get into.
3. Use Carbon Monoxide Detectors
These can be literal lifesavers when it comes to keeping your family safe. People use their boats for all types of purposes, and these can be dangerous to those with enclosed spaces below.
4. Get a Mechanic
If you feel you have too many internal system errors, then you may need to call a mechanic to do a thorough once-over before hopping on the water.
5. Find Boat Insurance
Whether you need a new policy or are reconsidering your current one, Stevens Insurance is here to keep your boat protected in Las Vegas, NV. Give us a call so we can chat with you about what you need in a policy.
If you live in the Las Vegas, Nevada area, then you might not be thinking much about boat insurance. The untold story about the city is that it is within 30 minutes of Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Lake Mead has over 820 miles of shoreline that people can explore. This means that there is even more water surface to boat on. The need for boat insurance has never been greater.
Protecting Your Boat with the Right Kind of Policy
Your boat is a major investment and will need to have the right kind of protection. Here are some things that you will want to have on your policy.
- Bodily injury is a real possibility is you are the one that causes a boating accident. This coverage pays for the injuries of the other party if you are liable for the cost of the accident.
- Property damage to others gives you the means to fix the other parties boat if it is damaged in the at-fault accident.
- In order to fix your boat, your policy will need to physical damage benefits. This will pay for damages on and off the water.
- A boating accident may cause your boat to capsize. If your boat capsizes, then there is a good chance that all your personal belongings will be lost. This benefit will pay to replace your items.
- Towing and labor is provided to people that break down on the water or strand themselves on a sandbar.
Whatever happens on the water can affect you and your family. You will need to have the right kind of insurance protection for your watercraft. As your independent local agent, we can help get you the policy that meets your needs the best. Give us a call today and let us get to work for you.