You have your new boat, and you’re ready to take it out on the lake in the Las Vegas, NV area for the first time. To avoid some novice mistakes, here are several tips to help you have a successful and safe voyage.
- Be sure that someone not going on the trip knows your boating plans and expected arrival time in case something goes wrong.
- Seal your keys, wallet, and cell phone in a Ziploc baggie to avoid water damage.
- Check the weather early and throughout the trip, and be ready to change your plans if the weather is bad.
- Practice backing your boat on the trailer if you’re new before you head down to boat launch ramp.
- Go slow when docking or loading the boat and you’ll look like a pro!
- Don’t overload the boat and don’t over pack for your trip.
- Boating can be disorienting, so know your landmarks or use the GPS. If using a GPS, know the functions before taking off.
- Ensure that you have all the required safety equipment on board
- Check the anchor rod and chain are not tangled up in case you need a fast deployment.
- Find a life vest that is comfortable, and wear it.
- Bring plenty of skin protection, bug repellant, and overdress because you can always take items off.
- Bring extra snacks and things to drink just in case your boat breaks down, and you’re stranded for hours.
- Have someone else that can drive a boat in case you have an emergency.
Contact an agent at Stevens Insurance in the Las Vegas, NV area to help you with your boat insurance policy options. We have knowledge of the area, boating, and we can save you time by finding the coverage to protect your investment.